10-a-day the easy way
by James Wong (2019)
In this follow up to his excellent "How to Eat Better", James eases one into the idea that 10-a-day is not only desirable, given that the reduction in mortality from eating a lot of fruit and vegetables is dose dependent, but also that it is very manageable. His strategy basically involves throwing fruit or veg at absolutely everything, from pizza bases to pumpkin dressing. If you've been a vegetarian for a bit, you've probably been doing quite a lot of this already. However, James may push you that little extra bit further, and whilst some of his dishes are meat laden, these would be easily adapted by vegetarians. He also introduced me to some ingredients with which I wasn't familiar and which I will try out, orange blossom water, tinned mango puree and vanilla bean paste, for example.
I was slightly concerned about how many calories this enterprise would involve. 10-a-day when added to pizzas and custard might be fine for a 6 foot something bloke, (I gather James is tall), but for a bunch of shorties like my family, I suspect we would probably still all cop it from complications of obesity if we were to go down this route. Still, worth a try - it does look delicious.
Rating 7/10
In this follow up to his excellent "How to Eat Better", James eases one into the idea that 10-a-day is not only desirable, given that the reduction in mortality from eating a lot of fruit and vegetables is dose dependent, but also that it is very manageable. His strategy basically involves throwing fruit or veg at absolutely everything, from pizza bases to pumpkin dressing. If you've been a vegetarian for a bit, you've probably been doing quite a lot of this already. However, James may push you that little extra bit further, and whilst some of his dishes are meat laden, these would be easily adapted by vegetarians. He also introduced me to some ingredients with which I wasn't familiar and which I will try out, orange blossom water, tinned mango puree and vanilla bean paste, for example.
I was slightly concerned about how many calories this enterprise would involve. 10-a-day when added to pizzas and custard might be fine for a 6 foot something bloke, (I gather James is tall), but for a bunch of shorties like my family, I suspect we would probably still all cop it from complications of obesity if we were to go down this route. Still, worth a try - it does look delicious.
Rating 7/10

Comments
Post a Comment