Self-Administered EMDR Therapy: Freedom from Anxiety, Anger and Depression


by Katherine Andler (2013)


This is a twenty minute read at most, but extremely helpful nonetheless.  As it happens, I am simultaneously reading three other  books on related subjects, one of which mentioned EMDR therapy for PTSD and anxiety in early chapter, and frankly, I couldn't wait to know more about the technique that seemed to promise so much and so went in search of something that could explain it a bit more.

Andler's short tract didn't let me down.  She explains EMDR succinctly and memorably and provides useful links to youtube and further reading at the back.  I tried the technique on myself using a minor source of anxiety along with this video, and OK, so I am hardly terribly traumatised and have worked on my stuff with various tools over the years, (CBT, mindfulness, yoga, attachment theory etc) but, let's face it, sources of at least some level of trauma are ever present, so it wasn't terribly difficult to think something up.  Within a few minutes, I honestly felt fantastic! 

This evidence is so flakily anecdotal, I realise, but who gives a monkey's? I certainly don't any more, so definitely worth a try, I'd say!

(The lower rating is simply because that the book wasn't an amazing bit of literature, but is no reflection on the merits or otherwise of the information it contains.)

Rating 6/10


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Only Skill that Matters

The War for Kindness: Building Empathy in a Fractured World

The Marshmallow Test: Understanding self-control and how to master it